Brief HistoryThe Provincial Grand Lodge of Midlothian was constituted on 6th August, 1897, by Brother The Lord Saltoun Most Worshipful Grand Master, within the Lodge Room of Dalkeith Kilwinning No. 10. Installed into Office as first Provincial Grand Master was Brother Major Robert Gordon Gilmour of Craigmillar, (later Sir Robert), with Brother The Lord Elphinstone, as Depute Provincial Grand Master, Brother John Borthwick, substitute Provincial Grand Master, and brother Andrew McDougall, as Provincial Grand Secretary.
Two days later, with Brother Gordon Gilmour presiding, Provincial Grand Lodge was opened, raised to the Third Degree, when the Provincial Grand Master received the Degree of an Installed Master. He was now Official!.
The Province of Midlothian at that time consisted of eleven Lodges, from West Calder in the West, Musselburgh in the East, and Penicuik in the South. This number remained unchanged until 1907, when a Lodge was formed at Currie, followed in 1908, with one at Prestonpans, and another at Gorebridge, Newtongrange in 1909, Liberton in 1919, Glencorse (Army Barracks), in 1925, and finally in 1930, another at Musselburgh, (Loretto School, now a Lodge of Research).
Today the Provincial Grand Lodge of Midlothian is proud of its achievements in its short history. It celebrated its centenary in 1997, with many functions throughout the Province, donations to charity amounting to £10,000, a history was published, all in all, a very busy year, culminating in a Centenary Celebration in the Lodge Room where it had its birth and infant nurture - Lodge Dalkeith Kilwinning No. 10.