Provincial Grand Lodge of Midlothian

The Thistle Lodge No. 270

dalkeith
3 Main Street, West Calder, Midlothian.
EH55 8BU Tel: (44) 0 1506 410717.


Master: Bro. Robert A. Smith
Secretary: Bro. Robert C. Smith P.M. Tel: (44) 0 1506 410717
Meetings: 1st and 3rd Wednesday - September to April, at 7pm.

Constituted 4th May 1818
Brief History of The Thitle Lodge
Masonic Meetings were first held in West Calder in 1816, when Walter Gowans, a local man, held three meetings of Lodge Torphichen Kilwinning No. 13, while he was Master of that Lodge. Two years later he, and two others, were given a mandate by his Lodge to `Enter, Pass, and Raise, such candidates at West Calder as they think worthy`. Two days after receiving this authority the first meeting was held on 13th March, 1818. At that meeting were thirteen members of the Craft, and during the evening 28 candidates were initiated as members of the Lodge. The following evening three were initiated, and five days later nine more were admitted. A total of fifty-three.

A Petition for a Charter was submitted to Grand Lodge. This Petition was supported by Lodge Torphichen Kilwinning No. 13, and Lodge Hopetoun No. 181 (now dormant), and a Charter was granted on 4th May 1818, with the number 341 on the Roll of Grand Lodge, and titled the West Calder Lodge. The name was changed to Thistle in 1821, and the number later altered to 270.

The Lodge has met in its present premises since its formation. These premises have, of course, been extended over the years, and a notable feature is the two staircases - both winding! The Lodge has featured prominently in the life of the community, and the Province, and will continue to do so with the help of all dedicated Freemasons.

Should you require further information please contact Bro. Robert C. Smith P.M. at:

Email



Return To Top