Provincial Grand Lodge of Midlothian

The Portobello Lodge No. 226

dalkeith
9-13 Figgate Street, Portobello.
EH15 1HL Tel: (44) 0 131 669 4496


Master: Bro. Rankin Robertson P.M.
Secretary: Bro. Colin McCaldin P.M. Tel: (44) 718 000 094

Meetings: 1st and 3rd Thursday - September to May, at 7.30pm.

Constituted 1st August 1808
Brief History of The Portobello Lodge
Portobello is known as Edinburgh`s seaside resort. But back when the lodge was founded in 1808 it was in the throes of becoming a thriving village in which the main industry was glass blowing. A number of freemasons were commuting from their homes in Portobello to their lodges in Edinburgh, but were finding the Stage Coach fair of one shilling, each way, a severe financial burden. Consequently a meeting was held in Portobello and a petition to The Grand Lodge of Scotland was submitted to form their own lodge, which was granted and No. 226 was born on the 8th August 1808.

The Lodge to this day still plays an active part in the work of the local community. It is proud of the fact that one of its first civic duties was to be present in large numbers at the laying of the foundation stone of the local Parish Church on the 27th October 1808.

The lodge operates from superb premises in Figgate Street Portobello, incorporating a beautiful temple and excellent social facilities. A warm welcome awaits any Brother who comes to Edinburgh.

The Brethren are not afraid to travel and have visited lodges in the USA, Canada, England, Bermuda and have recently formed strong ties with The Grand Masters Lodge in Ireland and St Andrews Lodge in Norway.

Should you require further information please contact Bro. Colin McCaldin P.M. at:

Email

More information on Lodge Portobello



Return To Top