Provincial Grand Lodge of Midlothian

Lodge St Leonard Loanhead No. 580

dalkeith
47 Clerk Street, Loanhead, Midlothian. EH20 9RE
Tel: (44) 0 131 443 9974


Master: Bro. William R. Harra
Secretary: Bro. Paul Graham P.M. Tel: (44) 07725941627
Meetings: 1st and 3rd Thursday - October to May, at 7.00pm.

Constituted 7th Febrfuary 1876
Brief History of Lodge St Leonard
The origin of Lodge St, Leonard can be attributed to a number of brethren residing in or near Loanhead belonging to different lodges, who desired to promote the good cause of Ancient Freemasonry within their locality.

After meeting in Thomson`s Inn Loanhead on the 31st January 1876 by about 20 of their number, it was unanimously agreed to petition the Grand Lodge of Scotland to grant a Charter for a Lodge at Loanhead.

On 7th February 1876 the Charter was granted, the number being 580 and the aptly chosen name St. Leonard which had many local significance`s. As the Lodge had several members in Lasswade, Grand Lodge was later petitioned for power to hold meetings there and this was granted in 1891.

The next milestone in the progress of the Lodge was the acquisition of a home of their own. Among numerous meeting places were Thomson`s Inn, Young`s Restaurant, Masons Arms and the Loanhead Hotel.

Bro. R. P. Gordon Gilmour of Craigmillar (the first Provincial Grand Master of Midlothian) laid the foundation stone of the new Temple on 29th April 1899.

Many worthy brethren have occupied the chair of Lodge St. Leonard including three Provincial Grand Masters, Bro. Alan A. Pinkerton, Bro. John A. Aitken and Bro. Alan S. Robertson, unfortunately Bro. Alan died two years into his commission. In 2001 we celebrated our 125th Anniversary year and now look forward to the next chapter in the history of Lodge St Leonard.

Should you require further information please contact Bro. Paul D. Graham P.M. at:

Email



Return To Top