Provincial Grand Lodge of Midlothian

Lodge St Kentigern No. 429

dalkeith
47 Clerk Street, Loanhead, Midlothian. EH20 9RE
Tel: (44) 0 131 443 9974


Master: Bro. Kevin H. King P.M.
WSW: Bro.    
WJW: Bro.    
Secretary: Bro. R. Watson Tel: (44) 7958282462
Meetings: 2nd Tuesday- September to April, at 7.00pm.

Constituted 7th March 1864
Brief History of Lodge St Kentigern
The Lodge was chartered on the 7th march 1864 under the name St. Kentigern Penicuik and Roslin No. 429. The petition was of the founders being Journeyman Masons No. 8 and Lodge St.Clair, Edinburgh No. 349. The territorial designation of the lodge was altered to Penicuik and West Linton in 1877. When, Lodge Roslin St.Clair was chartered. It is not clear why West Linton should have been linked with Penicuik, as West Linton is in peebleshire but it was usual (and within the memory of some of our older brethren) to work a degree in West Linton once a year.

Originally the lodge worked in the annex of the Royal Hotel and it was about the turn of the century that the lodge acquired its first premises. The main hall was erected around 1923 the brethren of that period were forward looking as the premises at that time where quite exclusive and could compare favourably with any in the province. The lodge held the ground on tack or long lease and it is of interest to note that this was originally granted in 1748 to John Clerk, an operative mason, for his dwelling and yard. The lease granted by the then laird of Penicuik Sir John Clerk Bart, was for a period of 500 years, so it appears that from this point of view at least that freemasonry was assured of a home in Penicuik. The work of the brethren in those days should not go unnoticed as a great deal of effort on behalf of all the brethren went into raising funds and, although the premises were subject to a bond for a considerable time, the bond has long been discharged.

The old premises were bought on a compulsory purchase order by the local council to make way for the town centre improvements.

The most worshipful Grand Master Mason Sir James McKay laid the foundation stone for our new premises on the 3rd of May 1982 and the consecration took place on the 3rd June 1983. We are now the proud owners of a, purpose build premises second to none, which includes a winding staircase to the lodge Temple.

Should you require further information please contact Bro. Kevin H. King P.M. at:

Email



Return To Top